Kilosbayan, the rough equivalent of "people action" is a non-profit, non-partisan, independent, ethics-oriented people's organization to enable persons from various religious backgrounds to "pursue and protect, within the democratic framework, their legitimate and collective interests and aspirations through peaceful and lawful means."
An Invitation to Select Leaders
To Build a Free, Just
and Open Society
All well-meaning leaders of the country - political, economic, religious, civic and business leaders - have a stake to keep democracy alive and vibrant. This serves as an invitation for you to keep it so.
"Man's capacity for justice
makes democracy possible,
but man's inclination to injustice
makes democracy necessary."
- Reinhold Niebuhr
Kilosbayan - Bantay Katarungan
KILOSBAYAN, the rough equivalent of "people action" is a non-profit, non-partisan, independent, ethics-oriented people's organization to enable persons from various religious backgrounds to "pursue and protect, within the democratic framework, their legitimate and collective interests and aspirations through peaceful and lawful means." (1987 Constitution).
Its purposes, as stated in the Articles of Incorporation, are:
1. To arouse public interest and participation in important questions of public policy, in light of the right of the people to their own governance and on the basis of civilized norms of morality, justice, truth, and ethics.
2. To get all the available facts on public issues, secure the most informed commentaries thereon, make an independent evaluation, and publicize its stand in order to obtain public support and shape the thinking of decision-makers.
3. To help transform Filipino culture, including our politics and electoral processes, so that we may have public officials of proven integrity, competence, dedication, and commitment to the national interest, rather than those appointed or elected on account of money politics, utang na loob, pakikisama, kinship, celebrity status, expectations of personal profit, and the like.
4. To achieve our vision of a society where economic and social progress and the widest distribution of basic social values are attained, to the end that the Philippines may become truly free, democratic, just and progressive.
It is supported by monthly dues from its members and donations from its trustees and friends who believe in its purposes. It is not aligned with any political party or with any Chamber or club with business or economic interests. Its general membership meets once a month and holds symposiums and forums where public issues are discussed and analyzed by personalities known for their expertise or respected for their convictions.
Donations may be sent by check or money order to:
Kilosbayan House, 7 First Street
Acacia Lane, Mandaluyong City
FAX No. +63(2) 534-5873.
This magazine is published every month by Kilosbayan Inc. with offices at Kilosbayan House, 7 First Street, Acacia Lane, Mandaluyong City. Tel. Nos. 534-5868 and 534-5889. Telefax No. 534-5873. Donations may be sent by check or money order to Kilosbayan Foundation at the same address.
Annual subscription rate - in the Philippines, P700; Abroad, U.S. $60 or acceptable equivalent in other countries. Price per copy in Manila - P65.00.
News items and commentaries in this magazine reflect the concerns of Kilosbayan and Bantay Katarungan but do not necessarily represent its official stand, unless otherwise stated.
Goals and Strategies of Bantay Katarungan
BANTAY KATARUNGAN, otherwise known as Sentinel of Justice, is an independent , non-partisan, ethics-oriented organization, formed for the purpose of reforming and modernizing our system of justice in the Philippines. Its officers are known for their competence and independence of mind. Its watchdogs are leading law students of idealism from various law schools who monitor and evaluate the performance of courts and quasi-judicial agencies, under the supervision of able lawyers and law professors.
The purposes of Bantay Katarungan, as stated in its articles, are:
1. Help our people seek and attain justice by a systematic monitoring and evaluation of the day-to-day performance of various courts, tribunals and agencies, particularly in cases involving the public interest, such as plunder, graft and corruption, betrayal of public trust, gross injustice, violations of human rights and the like;
2. Assist in improving the administration of justice by seeing to it that persons who are qualified to dispense justice, in terms of competence, integrity and dedication, are recruited, nominated and appointed to key positions in judicial and administration agencies;
3. Encourage deserving officials and personnel in said agencies to perform their duties without fear or favor, and enlist public support so that they are properly compensated and shielded from unwarranted attack, abuse or smear; and, on the other hand, those who fail to perform their duties, in accordance with law, are exposed, weeded out, and if necessary, punished;
4. Promote the integrity of the environment, and raise the awareness of our people about activities and programs, whether governmental or not, which imperil the basic human right to a healthy and safe environment.